Pass Travel Summary                                                           Updated 1/10/2017

Space-available (stand-by) travel: United’s new Pass Travel Program began 3/3/2012. Retirees get unlimited personal passes and eight annual vacation passes for travel on United & United Express. Retirees’ eligible pass riders get unlimited personal passes and fly at the same cost as retirees. All travel must be pre-paid by credit card. Cost of travel varies by your “Years of Service” and cabin seated; all economy class travel is svc-chrg waived. Travel by some pass riders may be taxed to the retiree as “imputed income”.
Space-available pass riders are boarded in groups (after revenue pax) and the retiree group is boarded after all employees, except when using vacation passes. Boarding seniority within each group is determined by “board date”, based on your days, months, and years of service to the company. See RAFA’s “Board Date Seniority” page for an explanation.  Space-available riders are entitled to 2 free checked bags (up to 70 lbs each).
Full revenue (confirmed space) travel: "myUAdiscount" tickets may be purchased by retirees and their eligible pass riders for travel on United and United Express. These tickets include 2 free checked bags (up to 70 lbs each) and Mileage Plus credit. 

Other Airline travel: Retirees may also purchase space-available "ZED" tickets on many Other Airlines.

Retirees’ Eligible Pass Riders for space-available and myUAdiscount travel on UA

Spouse or domestic partner (same or opposite gender)
Up to two enrolled friends (with option to change yearly. Register: Flying Together>Travel>Update pass riders)
Children, regardless of marital status, until they attain age 26 (natural, adopted and/or step)
Disabled children (disabled since before age 26)
Up to two parents (any combination of natural, adoptive and/or step, same or opposite gender) with an option to change who travels quarterly).

Retirees do not have "companion passes" or "buddy travel"; we have two Enrolled Friends. However, seven

Star Alliance carriers allow you to accompany "travel partners" or "buddies" on their airlines.

Read #2 on RAFA's  "OTHER AIRLINE travel" page.

For more details & definitions: Flying Together>Travel>Travel Policies>Eligible Pass Riders.
For more details about Enrolled Friends: Flying Together>Travel>Travel Programs> Enrolled Friend.

Boarding Priority groups for space-available travel on UA
The old BP-6 and BP-8 groups have been replaced by:

SA0V: Employees, retirees, and their accompanied pass riders if using VACATION passes;
Includes an unaccompanied spouse, domestic partner or primary friend* when using a vacation pass.

SA1P: Employees and their accompanied pass riders when using PERSONAL passes;
Includes an employee’s unaccompanied spouse, domestic partner or primary friend*.

SA2R: Retirees and their accompanied pass riders when using PERSONAL passes;
Includes a retiree’s unaccompanied spouse or domestic partner.

SA3V: Unaccompanied pass riders when using a employee/retiree’s VACATION pass
Exception: unaccompanied spouse/domestic partner/primary friend* fly on vacation passes at SA0V.

SA4P: Unaccompanied pass riders when using a PERSONAL pass.
Exception: retiree’s unaccompanied spouse/domestic partner fly on personal passes at SA2R and
employee’s unaccompanied spouse/domestic partner/primary friend* fly on personal passes at SA1P.

*NOTE: Retirees do not have a “Primary Friend”.

How are we boarded for space-available travel on UA?

Positive Space standbys will be boarded first, then SA0 standbys, followed by SA1, SA2, SA3, etc.
Pass riders within each of the above groups are boarded in seniority order by "Years of Service", not

"Date of Hire".  See RAFA's page on Seniority and Board Date”.

For boarding priority details, go to: Flying Together>Travel>Travel Policies>Boarding Priorities

How much does it cost?

It depends on your "Years of Service" and what kind of pass you are using (Personal or Vacation).               Read below or visit RAFA's "Costs & IMPUTED TAXES" page.  Travel costs must be pre-paid when listing.

Space-Available Pass Travel details: 

Retirees and their eligible pass riders receive UNLIMITED personal passes.
Retirees receive EIGHT annual vacation passes. Valid for 5 yrs.

Personal passes: good for service-charge waived** economy class travel & svc charge travel in premium cabins (Business/BusinessFirst/First/Global First) system-wide. If retiree has 25 or more years of service then they (and their pass riders) will ride service-charge waived* in ALL cabins system-wide.

**service-charge waived = retirees & eligible pass riders only pay airport/departure/regulatory taxes/fees.

Vacation passes: good for one-way, multiple segment, service-charge waived** travel in ALL cabins system- wide at the highest boarding priority (SA0V). Valid for 5 years. One pass can be used for retiree and their pass riders when traveling together (accompanied).  Roundtrip requires 2 passes

Example #1) Retiree can fly with all accompanied pass riders at SA0V SFO-IAD-CDG (multiple segments) and use only one vacation pass. Another vacation pass would be needed to fly back together. 
Example #2) If an enrolled friend in PHX wanted to go to Hawaii without retiree, the retiree could give up 2 vac passes (one for PHX-SFO-HNL and 1 for the return); enrolled friend would be SA3V (unaccompanied). Better idea: let enrolled friend use their unlimited personal passes to go to Hawaii (SA4P, unaccompanied...not much difference than flying at SA3V). 

Vacation passes are very valuable as they allow the retiree and accompanied eligibles to travel at the highest boarding priority without paying a service charge for premium cabins (regardless of years of service).

If you list with a vacation pass from A>B>C, but do not fly B>C, the vacation pass is used up.
If you listed in FC on any flight using a vacation pass, but flew in Y (FC was full), the vacation pass is used up.

For vacation pass details, go to Flying Together>Travel>Travel Programs>Vacation Passes

Confirmed travel on UA; buy myUAdiscount tickets 

Employees, retirees and their eligible pass riders may purchase revenue confirmed tickets for system- wide travel on United and United Express with a 20 percent discount. Tickets include two free checked bags (up to 70 lbs each) and Mileage Plus credit. Depending on routing, you may buy discounted FC, Business- First, Economy or Basic Economy tickets. All fare rules apply, including cancellation fees. Note: you may NOT hold myUAdiscount tickets and have a space-available listing for the same flight!

To purchase tickets visit the Flying Together>Travel>myUAdiscount tab or "Book a Flight" on the United app.

Other Airline space-available ZED Travel:

Other Airline Travel:
United has interline agreements with 100 other airlines so we can fly beyond the UA network.  For details go to: Flying Together>Travel>Other Airline/Interline Travel tab.

For a helpful step-by-step guide, read RAFA's "Other Airline Travel" page.

Note: Some Star Alliance carriers allow "Star Companions" (buddies) if accompanied by the retiree.

How to Fly...?

Space-available Travel on United/United Express:

To look at loads, list/pre-pay for travel and check-in, either

1) use the United app on iOS/Android devices: View RAFA's guide to using the app for Pass Travel or...

2) visit employeeRES on your computer/laptop: Go to Flying Together>Travel>click on the "Book a Flight" tab.  

For a guide on how to use employeeRES go to FlyingTogether>Travel>WebExSessions or click here.
Where is the "FlyingTogether" website??? It's here:

No computer skills? Call the United Pass Line to list by talking to a live person ($25).

To create, change or cancel a pass travel booking by telephone call: 

From the US dial 866-359-3727 

From International dial 713-324-7277 

If those numbers do not work, try 877-825-3729 + option 1 (ETC) + option 1 (ePass) 

If you speak with a live agent it’s free to change the dates and/or times of an existing listing or to cancel a flt. 

The $25 Booking Service Fee (per pass rider) is charged for new bookings, changes to origin and/or destinations and changes to type of ePass (personal to vacation and vice versa) because they require a new eTicket to be issued. RAFA recommends retirees learn how to book, change and cancel pass travel for free by using employeeRES or the United app (if linked with your Mileage Plus number, see #2 and #3 below).

Before you travel:

Put Pass Travel Tools on your mobile devices (smart phone/iPad/tablet)!

  1. Go to At the log-in screen, SAVE that to your device's home screen. After signing in, click on the "Travel" link to be taken to "MobileRes", a streamlined version of employeeRES. You can check loads & your vac pass balances plus list for flights. If the flight costs money use the "Full Site" link at the bottom of MobileRes to go to the full version of FlyingTogether, then go to employeeRES to input your credit card info. Using the "full site" of FlyingTogether on your mobile device also allows you access to "Other Airline" travel (for myIDtravel and ID90T).
  2. Download and use the United app (>Travel Information>MobileTools). This is very useful at the gate to check the standby list, seat map, etc. during boarding. 
  3. BEST: Join Mileage Plus (it's FREE) and link your MP # in employeeRES>QuickLinks>EmployeeProfile, then you can use the United app to check-in for flights, save boarding passes,etc. We can now list for space available travel and buy myUAdiscount tickets using the United app IF our MP#s are linked. NOTE: your name in employeeRES and Mileage Plus MUST perfectly MATCH. If they don't match, then change your Mileage Plus name. View: RAFA's guide to using the app for Pass Travel.

Discounted full-fare (confirmed seat) travel "myUAdiscount":

Visit Flying Together>Travel>Travel Programs>myUAdiscount, click on the tiny "Book" link.

Or.. buy myUAdiscount tickets using the "Book a Flight" tab on the United app if linked to your MP number.

ZED pass travel on Other Airlines (standby):

Visit Flying Together>Travel>Travel Programs>Other Airline/Interline Travel 

But first read RAFA's step-by-step guide to "Other Airline Travel", click here.

Compiled by Kirk Moore, RAFA Travel Benefits Committee
© Retiree Association of Flight Attendants-CWA
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software