Log in

Survivor Pass Travel

LAST Updated 6/29/2018 Most information is still good; but some links may be obsolete.

What happens to your pass riders when you die? 

Yes, they will be sad, but they will get to keep some pass travel privileges for a certain amount of time.

Here's a synopsis:

Your Spouse/DomesticPartner:  Can travel at SA1P for first 30 days; beyond 30 days their priority is SA2R. They are eligible to fly until remarried or a new domestic partnership is established.

Dependent Children: Fly at SA4P until they attain age 26.

Currently Certified Parents: Fly at SA4P for three years.

Currently Registered Enrolled Friends: Fly at SA4P for 90 days.

Existing Vacation Passes may be used thru the specified travel eligibility period or the original expiration of the Vacation Pass, whichever comes first. No new vacation passes will be distributed annually after the employee/retiree dies. Survivors of employees/retirees who passed away before the new Pass Travel program began in 2012 do not have vacation passes.

Survivors may utilize the myUAdiscount leisure travel program during their eligibility period.

Survivor travel is NOT valid on United’s alliance partners, code-share partners or other airlines (OA).

For more details read the Survivor Travel Information on Flying Together>Travel>Policies>overview >Survivors

Give this information to your pass riders and tell them how to contact the ETC for help. Do it now...before you die!

                      Email:   Phone: 877-825-3729 (need file# and last 4 digits of SS#)

Below is an excellent letter from the ETC to a recent widow (spouse) about Survivor Pass Travel (names have been removed). In this example the deceased had accrued more than 25 years of service (hence the service-charge waived S/A travel in premium cabins system-wide).  Boarding priorities and eligibility periods will vary for other surviving pass riders (children, parents and Enrolled Friends); refer to the Survivor Travel Information page on Flying Together.

Dear _______,

Please accept our sincerest condolences on the loss of ____ (your spouse).  We wish you peace and strength in the days ahead.  As the surviving spouse you remain eligible for lifetime space-available service-charge waived passes for leisure travel in economy system-wide on United and United Express flights.  As _____ completed more than 25 years of service with the Company, you will also receive service charge waived space-available travel in Premium cabins system-wide.  Please keep in mind you will be required to prepay with a credit card on employeeRES any applicable departure and other airport/regulatory taxes and fees. 

  • Survivor travel is not valid on United’s alliance partners, code-share partners and other airlines (OA), including carriers that have signed an interline agreement with United. 
  • Survivors are not eligible for vacation ePass and buddy ePass annual distributions. 
  • Survivors are not eligible for the enrolled friend program. 
  • Pass travel ends upon remarriage or establishes a new domestic partnership. 

To book space-available leisure travel, you will continue to use (your spouse's) ID number and last known password to access the Flying Together website to book pass travel using employeeRES.  If you do not know the password, you may contact the United Airlines Service Desk at 1.800.255.5801 option 1 and 1 again for password reset assistance.  You are responsible for all pass travel transactions (and all confidential information on United’s intranet) and encouraged to safeguard your password.


To book and eTicket your pass travel through United’s employeeRES system:

  • Log on to
  • Enter (your spouse's) United ID number and password  
  • Select the Travel tab at the top and then select the "Book a flight" box
  • Once on of employeeRES page you will start by entering the cities pairs under the ”Flight Search” section.


You may also book and eTicket your pass travel with the United Pass Line at 1.866.FLY.EPAS.

  • When dialing from an international location:  713-324-PASS (7277)
  • When dialing from within the United States:  866-FLY-EPAS (359-3727)
  • The six digit password is (your spouse's) birth date in the mmddyy format (example: 022744)
  • Say “United co-worker”
  • Say or enter ID number
  • Choose the option that fits your needs

Note: You will be transferred to a reservation agent. The current Booking Service Fee is $25.00 per ticket for ticketing your travel plans.  All are encouraged to use the online systems, employeeRES and mobileRES, for all your travel needs as these web applications have no ticketing fees.

You are also eligible to participate in the Discount Leisure Travel Program (myUAdiscount.)  United’s Discount Leisure Travel Program, provides the opportunity to purchase revenue-confirmed tickets for system-wide travel in any cabin on United and United Express with a 20 percent discount. The discount is applied to the revenue fare at the time of purchase and is available on most published fares.  Discount leisure travel must be booked through the myUAdiscount link in the Travel section on Flying Together.

If you have any questions regarding the employeeRES website you may email us at  or speak to an Employee Travel Center representative at 1-847-825-3729 and we will be happy to assist you.  


Employee Travel Center-HR


Int'l address
PO Box 135
Newark, CA 94560-0135

© Retiree Association of Flight Attendants-CWA
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software